After leaving my second Wilton class I knew that I was going to do the drop flower cake because I really didn’t want to take a clown cake home. Granted, the ones that were done in class were very cute, but the clown head just really creeped me out. I have been practicing my piping skills all week so that I would be able to make a drop flower, which isn’t necessarily hard it is just the hand positions that are a pain in the butt. I finally got it down along with the shell border, which I still need some practice on. I decided to make all of my drop flowers ahead of time. There was just one problem….
How the hell was the icing supposed to dry?
I decided to surf around the Internet and look to see if there were any suggestions. The top suggestion was to make the flowers out of royal icing. GREAT IDEA!!! I found the recipe and proceeded to make my flowers. I figured I would only need 30, but 80 drop flowers later there I was. I had a table full of black drop flowers with white centers. I still had icing left, but I decided to pitch it since royal icing is hard to keep since it hardens :)
For my cake I decided to use the extra 6 inch round Chiffon Cake that I had in my freezer. Since the cake was a little dry last time I decided that I would make a Tiramisu Cake. I used a half batch of the mascarpone filling and a half batch of the coffee mixture from my base Tiramisu recipe for the cake. For the frosting I decided to use the Thin Consistency Wilton Recipe online (not the stiff consistency one) to mix it up and use half butter and shortening instead of all shortening and also added 2 extra tbsp of milk. I really just wanted to see what would happen since in class they are telling us to use all shortening. Then I added rum extract for the flavoring instead of vanilla. I think this icing tasted a little better than the one we are suppose to make with all shortening. It does set up harder in the fridge because of the butter, so you have to take your cake out 10 minutes before serving to make it easier to slice. I was only going to make three layers, but then I thought that the coffee mixture wouldn’t soak in very well. I thought four would be good, but then the last layer was a little too big so I made it into two layers hence the 5 layer cake. It turned out to be tall, and a pain to frost evenly but I did the best I could without picking the cake up and throwing it across the room :)
Class was a little easier since I had practiced some of the stuff that we were going to be doing. The only thing that I had a problem with was the Wilton Rose, but I have been thinking about it for awhile now and I know what I need to fix. I need to make my base wider, and remember when making the petals to lift the bag a little. A lot of the ladies in my class were making beautiful roses the first try. I kept starting over to make sure that the base was right and wanted to make sure to get everything in the right order. My teacher kept telling me to not do that, but HEY I learn by repeating the process so back off nice lady.
The rest of the class went by smoothly. I made one clown just to say that I did it and then destroyed him. I did the shell border on my cake and proceeded to place some of the drop flowers on my cake. A lot of people in the class commented how nice my cake looked which was nice since everytime I look at it all I see is flaws. But that is what I do :) Some of the ladies actually piped the drop flowers straight onto their cake. This was something that I did not want to attempt to do because you know I would have done something completely wrong. Like when I was putting my cake in the box poking it with my finger, or when I was placing a flower on the cake I stabbed it with my nail. I am a klutz I was bound to mess something up. Later on in the class I found out that I was not suppose to use royal icing and that I should have just added an extra tablespoon of Meringue Powder to my icing to make it dry a little. This would not have been a good idea since they can’t dry all the way through with buttercream. That is just asking me to break them all while placing them on the cake because you know I man handle my flowers :)
In the end the cake turned out pretty and tasted good, even though the cake kind of tapers out on the top. Still working on my icing and filling skills :)